Test your 90s music knowledge with this fun quiz written by our team at Open For Christmas.
Perfect for parties, holidays, and pub quizzes, get your thinking caps on with our list of 55 nineties music trivia questions.
The 90s Music Quiz
Who Sang It?
- Who had a hit with Torn in 1997?
Answer: Natalie Imbruglia
- Who had a hit with U Can’t Touch This in 1990?
Answer: MC Hammer
- Who released a single in 1999 called Genie In A Bottle?
Answer: Christina Aguilera
- Who sang the hit song ‘I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)’?
- Who sang the hit song ‘Smells like teen spirit’?
- Who sang the song, “Shoe Box”, in 1995?
Answer: Barenaked Ladies
- Which pop group scored a Number One hit with their debut single, Wannabe?
Answer: Spice Girls
- Which pop legends teamed up to release ‘Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me’ in 1991?
Answer: George Michael and Elton John
- Which rapper had a 1995 number one single with Gangsta’s Paradise?
- Which Irish band sang C’est la Vie in 1998?
- Which nineties band sang, “We’ve Got It Goin’ On”?
Answer: Backstreet Boys
- Jump Around was a 1992 hit for which band?
Answer: House of Pain
- Which band performed the Friends theme, I’ll Be There For You?
- Which band had a hit with MMMBop?
- In 1990 the England football team collaborated with which band to release the UK chart topping song World in Motion?
- In 1990, which American dance group had an international hit with the song “Groove Is in the Heart”?
- Which group won the 1997 Eurovision Song Contest for Great Britain with the song ‘Love Shine a Light’?
Answer: Katrina and the Waves
Name The Song
- Which Hanson song reached Number One in the USA and the UK in 1997?
- Which Blink182 song was originally titled ‘Peter Pan Syndrome’?
Answer: What’s My Age Again
- Complete the title of Pulp’s 1995 britpop hit! ‘Common… ‘
- What was the name of Destiny’s Child’s 1999 album?
Answer: The Writing’s on the Wall
- What was the name of Eminem’s first UK single in 1999?
Answer: My Name Is
- What was the original name of Oasis’ song ‘Wonderwall’?
Answer: Wishing Stone
- What was the title of S Club 7’s debut album which was released in 1999?
Answer: S Club
- What’s the name of Britney Spears’ first single, released in 1998?
Answer: Baby One More Time
- Name Cher’s 1998 comeback single?
Name The Year
- In what year did R.E.M release Losing My Religion?
- In which year of the nineties did Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain die?
Where In The World?
- Björk scored a Number 1 single in her home country for the song It’s Oh So Quiet. Which country was that?
- Mike Skinner is the frontman of which Birmingham garage band?
Answer: The Streets
- What nationality is ‘Boombastic’ rapper Shaggy?
- Which country were Backstreet Boys from?
Answer: United States
- Which of the following pop groups are named after a London postcode?
- Which UK city are the Stone Roses from?
- Los del Rio created which Spanish dance craze in 1993, still popular at parties today?
Random 90s Music Trivia
- How many Brit Awards has Blur won in their entire career?
- How many members were in the Backstreet Boys?
- In the theme tune of the 90s show The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, what does Will Smith yell to the taxi driver?
Answer: ‘Smell ya later’
- Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera were all part of which TV Club in the 90s?
Answer: The Mickey Mouse Club
- My Heart Will Go On was sung by Celine Dion. But on which film did the song appear?
- Name all five members of the Spice Girls?
Answer: Melanie Chisholm (“Sporty Spice”), Emma Bunton (“Baby Spice”), Melanie Brown (“Scary Spice”), Victoria Beckham (née Adams) (“Posh Spice”), and Geri Halliwell (“Ginger Spice”)
- Nicole, Natalie, Shaznay and Melanie were the members of which 90s girl band?
Answer: All Saints
- Spending a total of seventeen weeks in the Billboard Top 40, which Roxette song was also on the soundtrack for the movie “Pretty Woman”?
Answer: It Must Have Been Love
- Take That released their first album in 1992. What was its title?
Answer: Take That & Party
- Underworld’s ‘ Born Slippy is known for closing which 90s film?
- What band was Gwen Stefani the lead singer of before she became a solo artist?
Answer: No Doubt
- What is the name of the first album by Oasis?
Answer: Definitely Maybe
- What was the real name of rapper Vanilla Ice?
Answer: Robert Matthew Van Winkle
- Which 90s girl group is the second best-selling group after the Spice Girls?
- Which band was Noel Gallagher the sound technician for before Oasis formed?
Answer: Inspiral Carpets
- Which former Take That member has as many number one’s as Elvis Presley?
Answer: Gary Barlow
- Which group released Barbie Girl in 1997?
- Which singer crashed Michael Jackson’s performance at the Brit Awards in 1996?
Answer: Jarvis Cocker
- Which tool-themed MC won best rap video and best dance video at the 1990 MTV Awards?
Answer: MC Hammer
- Whitney Houston’s hit cover version of I Will Always Love You was written by which singer?
Answer: Dolly Parton
Why not extend your 90’s music trivia night with a round of Guess The Song!
We Hope You Enjoyed Our Nineties Music Trivia with Questions and Answers!
There’s nothing better than a classic quiz night to level up an evening or day with your friends and family.
If you’ve enjoyed it, then you’ll probably like some of our similar stuff below.
What’s your favourite 90s song? Let us know in the comments!
Related Activity Articles:
- 15 Funny, Wacky, Weird & Wonderful Christmas Songs To Sing This Holiday
- 9 Seriously Fun Games To Play With Three People